Are you coming across any network issue or feel any requirement of changing the channel or security mode of your extender? If yes, then follow the steps mentioned in the guide. There are some simple steps by implementing which you can easily change the channel and security mode.
Step 1: Connect the devices: Connect the PC and the Netgear range extender with each other through Ether cable. Check if the corresponding light starts blinking or not. If yes, then go to the next step otherwise change the port number and try connecting to it again.
Step 2: Login to the web-based setup page: To login to the web page of your Range extender, check the IP address of your range extender from the guided manual or the sticker pasted at the back of the hardware. When the login page opens, enter the username and password in the two fields. If you have changed it previously, then login with the new username and password.
For any issues, related to the ‘Setup page’.
Step 3: Changing the wireless channel: If you want, you can change the channel of your range extender by downloading the SSIDer tool. All the channels available for selection will be displayed on the screen. Apart from this, you will also get information related to the ‘Ideal channel’ which will best suit the environment.
If you are facing a problem using the app, then try the channels manually. The channel that best provides the signal without any interference can be selected. Start with channel 1 and go till 11.
How to change the channel?
- Over to ‘Advanced settings’ from the login page.
- Go to ‘Wireless Settings’ followed by the ‘Main menu’.
- Over to ‘Basic settings’ and click on ‘Submenu’. The page will be directed to a similar one.
- Look at the channel and see which best suits the requirement and tap ‘Save’.
How to change security mode?
It is recommended to use the WPA or WPA2 security mode for the wireless range extender. Besides providing security, it also helps in maintaining a stable connection with the client device through the latest technology.
Steps to change the security mode are:
- Over to ‘Advanced’ settings from the setup page.
- Go to ‘WLAN’ settings from the main menu.
- Select ‘Security settings’ from the sub-menu. You will find the image on the screen.
- Search for ‘Security mode’ and change it. If you are using Netgear range extender, then select ‘WPA2, WPA-2 or any mixed security type.
Note: You can select WPA Algorithm to WPA2 encryption on the range extender.